Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Langston Hughes Theme for English B

Langston Hughes is living in the north and going to school in Harlem. He grew up in western North Carolina, which at that time was a very hard time for a black person to grow up in. Segregation was fully in forced during that time, so even living in New York he still feels that present.  In the second part he talks about all of the things that make him no different from his instructor.

"But I guess I'm what
I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you:
hear you, hear me---we two---you, me, talk on this page.
(I hear New York too.) Me---who?
Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love.
I like to work, read, learn, and understand life.
I like a pipe for a Christmas present,
or records---Bessie, bop, or Bach. "

But later on in the poem he talks about how his instructor is white and all of the difference that are between them. But as much as they don't like each other they are part each others lives. The last few lines he talks about what they learn from each other, and even though the instructor is older and white and somewhat more free he is still learning from Hughes. Also i think he feels alone in this "I am the only colored student in my class." what do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment